The courthouse was originally built as Oddfellows Hall, and finished in 1841 to house the Annual Moveable Conference
of the order. However it was shortly sold after this. It was renamed St Georges Hall and was used for lectures and concerts, and then later became a courthouse in 1857. A new courthouse complex was opened in 1997 and the Athol Street building lay derelict for years.
Since these photographs were taken in 2004, the site has been bought and renovated into a bar and nightclub. Only the outer front wall remains, everything else was unfortunately demolished.